*10/25/2017* Download the annual Community Status Letter.
10/28/2017: Update on the Underpass
The Maryland State Highway Administration has informed us that, contrary to its previous announcement, the Randolph Road underpass at Georgia Avenue will not be completed by December of 2017. The new estimate for its completion is December of 2018.
IN OTHER NEWS...
The commencement of construction on Stage 2 of development has been delayed. Regrading of this area commenced in November of 2017, and the construction of new buildings in this area is expected to commence in Spring of 2018.
Have you heard? Changes are coming to Privacy World at Glenmont Metro!
You may have heard in the local media about the proposed redevelopment plans for Privacy World, and you may be concerned about how this will affect your residency here. Many of these plans are yet to be finalized, but we feel that it is important that our current and future residents have a place to find accurate and timely information about the changes that will be coming to the community. This page will be updated as additional information becomes available.
As always, should you have any questions at all about the redevelopment plans or any other aspect of life at Privacy World, we encourage you to give us a call at 301-933-4000. We look forward to speaking with you and discussing your questions and concerns.
The property occupied by Privacy World at Glenmont Metrocentre is under contract for redevelopment. The plans for the property include a wider variety of residences, including townhouses, garden style apartments, and mixed-use residential and commercial buildings.
The opening of the Glenmont Metro Station in 1998 marked the beginning of a period of potential redevelopment for the Glenmont area. Several projects are in the planning stages to bring the Glenmont community up to standard with other neighborhoods near Metro stations in Montgomery County. These include the upcoming Randolph Road/Georgia Avenue underpass (to be completed by the end of 2016), the rennovation of Glenallen Elementary School, the relocation of Glenmont Fire Station 18, and the redevelopment of Privacy World.
It is hoped that this redevelopment will provide numerous benefits to the Glenmont community, including:
- A significant increase in the number and variety of commercial businesses in the community (resulting in an improved shopping experience for those living here)
- An increase in the diversity of housing options in the area, which currently are dominated by older, garden-style apartments and private homes
- An increase in the number of new and/or accessible housing units in a market where such housing is difficult to find
The Privacy World redevelopment, as currently envisioned, will be a four-stage effort. Each stage will involve a specific area of the property, and it is foreseen that each stage will be under construction prior to demolition for the next phase beginning. Construction for each of these phases is scheduled to begin on or about the following dates (all dates are subject to change):
The management will attempt to minimize inconvenience on residents during redevelopment. Buffer zones are being left between areas of active redevelopment and those currently being lived in by residents in order to minimize noise and other disruptions. However, some noise will be inevitable, and residents may see changes in traffic patterns within the community during redevelopment.
The buildings affected by Stages 1 and 2 of redevelopment have been removed. New residents are still being moved into newly-renovated units in buildings designated for inclusion in Stages 3 through 4.
As redevelopment proceeds, it will be necessary for residents living in buildings designated for inclusion in Stages 3 through 4 to move. The management will make every effort to offer alternate units in other buildings in the community, whenever possible, for those residents who wish to remain at Privacy World.
Where are we in the development plan now?
Currently we are in the middle of Stage 1 of the development plan. Major milestones that have already been accomplished or that are currently scheduled include:
- 2020-2021 (projected): buildings affected by Stage 3 of redevelopment Plan to be removed
- 2019 (projected): Construction of New Rental Apartments (Stage 2) to begin.
- 04/2018-05/2018 (projected): Construction of larger townhomes (Stage 2) to begin.
- 11/2017: Regrading of area affected by Stage 2 of redevelopment plan to begin.
- 10/2016: Buildings affected by Stage 2 of redevelopment plan removed.
- 07/2016: Management Office relocated to Georgia Avenue side of property.
- Winter, 2015/16: Regrading of main entrance and Phase 1 construction area completed.
- 07/2015: Main entrance closed for regrading. Alternate entrance and access road completed.
- 06/2015: New Tot Lot, picnic area, and dog run completed.
- Spring 2015: Construction of Stage 1 new buildings began.
- 09/2014: Buildings affected by Stage 1 of redevelopment plan removed.
Please note that as in any project of this scope, delays are possible, and even likely. We encourage our residents to check back regularly on this page, or call the rental office at 301-933-4000 for the latest information.